Gettin' JAZZED about READING!

Every once in a while I open up my email and get a wonderful surprise. Last Monday I heard from Ritt Henn, a professional jazz bassist from New York City. He often performs at elementary schools to help promote music and literacy in the community. This year, his group, the JAZZMEN, chose COOL DADDY RAT as their featured storybook. They read the book, played their instruments, and even turned the scat lines into call-and-response bits for the children. Oh, how I wish I could have been there! What a way to get kids "jazzed" about reading!

Pictured left to right: Frank Wagner, Jerry Sokolov, and Ritt Henn. (Photo by Isabella Caputo.)
The Jazzmen received letters from the children, and they shared a few with me:



A big thanks to the Jazzmen for sharing my book with children in such a cool way.
If you'd like to read more about Ritt Henn, here is his website: http://www.ritthenn.com/
And here's a website for Frank Wagner: http://www.modalmoods.com/







Comments

Cranberryfries said…
That sounds like so much fun. Did they go to multiple schools?

Popular posts from this blog

Congratulations to the 2009 ALA Newbery, Caldecott, Printz, King, Geisel, etc. Award Recipients

Plan A FABULOUS Literacy Night!

To be a Flourisher...